Let's talk about biking in English

Tema en 'Foreign Bikers' iniciado por chainring, 7 Ene 2011.

1. chainring

chainring Miembro Reconocido

Me Gusta recibidos:
    I was just thinking that maybe some of us might like to write about our shared interest in bikes but in the language of Shakespeare. So here goes.

Can you believe the weather we're having these days, at least in Madrid? Rain the last two days and now the forecast says a 95% chance of more tomorrow. And Friday is when I usually go for a long bike ride :-(

Última edición: 27 Jun 2013
  2. chainring

Me Gusta recibidos:
    Come on! Here's your chance to practice your written English a bit. Don't be shy. I don't bite.

I didn't go for a ride today, which means I'll definitely go tomorrow and Sunday. Well, maybe I'll go running tomorrow and riding on Sunday. Yesterday I ran into another biker from my neighborhood and he said he hadn't gone for a month. That's just crazy. You've got to stay active. Another rider friend of mine has rollers, so when it's raining he's in his living-room doing intervals. He's staying in shape in spite of this wet winter we're having.

3. Mackem

Mackem Miembro

Me Gusta recibidos:
    The weather is great oop north in the Basque country. Dry, warm, sometimes sunny.

4. chainring

Me Gusta recibidos:
    Well that's ironic: dry, warm, sometimes sunny in the north, and here in Madrid it's been bucketing down. I went running at around 1:00 p.m. and it started raining while I was out and hasn't really stopped. Well, I'm really glad I managed to get some exercise.

5. VictorNano13

VictorNano13 Cadete

Me Gusta recibidos:
    Strava:
    Here in Andalucia the weather is amazing. Yesterday we had a max. temp. of 23 degrees. :D

6. chainring

Me Gusta recibidos:
    Maybe the rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVmU3iANbgk

So I'm getting ready to go for a ride and I'm checking the weather forecast.

Aemet - 85% chance of rain.
    Weather Undergound - 20%
    AccuWeather - a blend of sunshine and clouds with a couple of showers.

So who knows if I'll get wet today?

7. chainring

Me Gusta recibidos:
    Went for a ride yesterday. Got completely soaked.

8. Mackem

Mackem Miembro

Me Gusta recibidos:
    Very English, just talking about the weather. How was the ride? Who are you, what you doing in Madrid.

9. chainring

Me Gusta recibidos:
    Hi Mackem. Yeah, talking about the weather, yet I'm not English. I'm from the States and I teach English in Madrid. What about you?

So what kind of biking are you into? I mainly ride a cross country mountain bike and a road bike. Actually I hear cycling is big in Basque Country, tho it must rain a lot. But maybe not. The people above said the weather was nice there yet it was raining here. Maybe that's climate change where you get bizzaro world weather.

10. dang100

dang100 Novato

Me Gusta recibidos:
    I was out yesterday and the weather was fantastic - like spring! I have a language question: how do you say "rear mech hanger" in Spanish? It´s the little bit of metal that bolts onto the drop-out which the rear mech (cambio trasero) bolts onto. Mine´s bent and I need a new one but don´t know how to ask for it.

ps I´m English but live in Spain; into XC and singletrack; ride a Yeti 575 and I´m always up for going out on the bike if anyone wants to join.

11. chainring

Me Gusta recibidos:
    Hi dang100. So where in Spain do you live? I went for a ride today and just like you say: springtime!

The rear mech hanger in Spanish is "patilla de cambio". I haven't ever had a problem with one but I've been told that they're made of softish metal so if they receive a blow they bend (I suppose to prevent damage to the derraileur). So when they bend you have to bend them back. I found a video that explains how to do it. It says you need an alignment tool but I bet you could do it without it. In any case, ask the guys in "Mecánica", I'm sure you'll get some good advice.

http://bicycletutor.com/derailleur-hanger-alignment/

Cheers!

12. VictorNano13

VictorNano13 Cadete

Me Gusta recibidos:
    Strava:
    In the south it`s also spring time! I love Málaga :D

13. dang100

dang100 Novato

Me Gusta recibidos:
    Hi Chainring. Thanks for that - they're designed to fail before the frame fails so you only have to replace the hanger and not the whole frame.

I'm in Madrid and was out on this ride on Saturday: http://es.wikiloc.com/wikiloc/view.do?id=841694 although we only did the loop to Guadalix and back. We were knackered after that!

Where are you based?

14. chainring

Me Gusta recibidos:
    Sounds like a fun ride dang100. I sometimes go to Guadalix on my road bike, but more often to La Pedriza. I live in the north of Madrid in Sanchinarro. So where are you based?

Hi VictorNano13. Yeah, I bet Malaga is great for biking. Must be nice to have the sea.

15. chainring

Me Gusta recibidos:
    Not much action here. Nobody wants to talk about bikes in English?

16. dang100

dang100 Novato

Me Gusta recibidos:
  17. chainring

Me Gusta recibidos:
    Sounds like you're doing some interesting rides on Saturday. Is there a club or something organizing these trips?

18. dang100

dang100 Novato

Me Gusta recibidos:
    No, either me on my jones or with a couple of friends. I´m on holiday for a couple of weeks but I´ll let you know about the next ride if you´re interested. It´ll probably be 2nd w/end of Feb

19. chainring

Me Gusta recibidos:
    Too bad I work on Saturdays :(

20. velsatis

velsatis Novato

Me Gusta recibidos:
    hi there dudes.glad to have u here english people.i'm from Romania and learning spanish language still, but i can talk in english because it is a language that i study from 2nd grate :). i live in north of Madrid, Alcobendas or San Sebastian de los Reyes and i'll be happy to meet and have some rides.cheers!

Compartir esta página